About this Show

CNN Saturday Morning

News News/Business. News, sports, weather and entertainment news. New.

NETWORK
CNN

DURATION
01:30:00

RATING

SCANNED IN
San Francisco, CA, USA

SOURCE
Comcast Cable

TUNER
Virtual Ch. 759 (CNN HD)

VIDEO CODEC
mpeg2video

AUDIO CODEC
ac3

PIXEL WIDTH
1920

PIXEL HEIGHT
1080

TOPIC FREQUENCY

Us 23, Randi 8, U.s. 7, D.c. 6, Lance Armstrong 5, New York 5, Washington 5, Boeing 4, Chicago 4, Nora 4, Texas 4, Randi Kaye 3, Chuck Hagel 3, Lincoln 3, Victor Blackwell 3, Jack Lew 3, Geico 3, Beijing 3, Obama 3, Cymbalta 3,
Borrow a DVD
of this show
  CNN    CNN Saturday Morning    News  News/Business. News, sports,  
   weather and entertainment news. New.  

    January 12, 2013
    5:00 - 6:30am PST  

5:00am
prank ever. >> inspiring magician created a driv driver's seat costume that makes it appear as if no one is driving this car. he put it on and went through a bunch of fast food drive-thrus and, look at this, recorded stunned and freaked out employees. >> hello. >> what the heck is going on? oh, my god! >> oh, my god. >> really? girl. hello? are you serious? >> you've got to love it.
5:01am
>> a driver's seat costume. who would ever think of that? >> it's pretty funny. thanks for starting your morning with us. a whole lot more ahead on c cnn's "saturday morning," which starts right now. good morning, everyone. i'm randi kaye. >> i'm victor blackwell. 8:00 here on the east coast. thank you for starting your day with us. we start with the lance armstrong bombshell, usa today reporting that he will admit to doping monday in an interview with oprah. >> oprah will go to armstrong's home in texas to get the details. he has denied using drugs in the past. so his admission could have serious consequences. this morning i spoke with the man who broke the story, brent strattenborg. >> he's supposed to make this admission monday when the show tapes. oprah winfrey is coming to his home in austin, texas, taping an
5:02am
interview monday. and that is supposed to air next thursday a's to why is he doing this now, the evidence came out against him, a massive file of evidence came out against him in october. in the three months since then, he has been keeping a pretty low profile. and i think he has been deciding what to do about it. he has kind of cornered himself, because for manyiers now, he strenuously denied these doping allegations. and with aall the evidence that's come out against him, it's hard to deny it anymore. and he's making a calculated decision for himself personally. also i think it's a business decision for him because it's affecting his charity, live strong. all of his sponsors have fired him. >> joining us now to talk more about this, nick valencia. good morning. >> good morning. >> let's say this is true, he comes clean and admits to doping.
5:03am
legal ramifications? >> at the it has the potential to be very damaging for lance armstrong. there have been reports from "usa today" and others that he has reached the statute of limitations for testimony he gave in 2005. having said that, there is a libel lawsuit, this counter lawsuit, the usdoj could attach themselves to this. if they do, that's potential for major criminal charges against lance armstrong. >> i was in austin when he was last out in public at the live strong event. the live strong reporters loved lance armstrong and they told me we support him whether he doped or not. what does this mean, though, for the organization? >> there's a legion of fans, as he referenced, that look up to him aas a hero, an icon. even if it does come out that,
5:04am
as is reported, comes clean to oprah in this interview. a lot of people will still have his back, victor. a lot of people still see him as a cancer survivor, as a hero. they don't care that he doped. but there are sour that is say live strong has forced him into this confession. >> nobody will be able to forget -- he really went on the attack. >> yeah. >> when he was accused, he came out swinging. >> a lot of people think what he did in terms of bullying the people that accused him of this alleged doping was worse than the actual act itself. he would vilify people, and a lot of people are still angry about him. he filed counter lawsuits against the usada, the u.s. anti-doping agency. as well as a report from the times, he won a lot of money trying to defend his name and
5:05am
people are looking to get that money back. >> if he was doing it, if, you have to wonder why he went on the attack like that. and now this confession. more on the deadly flu outbreak sweeping the country. so far this season 20 children have died. cdc reports that 47 states are reporting widespread flu activity. earlier, i spoke with jeffrey oiler of piedmont hospital here in atlanta about what he is seeing in his offices. >> we're seeing about 20% to 25% more patients in our emergency department daily. we had 30 positive influenza screens in the month of november, ticked up to 80 in december. and we're on track in january as well. >> one of the signs of the cold or flu is sneezing. it's also one of the easiest ways to spread the illness. exactly how does the sneeze spread those nasty germs? i took a ride on a new york city
5:06am
subway to find out. fair warning, you are definitely going to want to wash your hands after this one. we asked dr. len horowitz to ride the rails with us and help us understand the power of a single cough or sneeze. all it takes is one good achoo to send 30,000 droplets barreling in your direction at 100,000 miles an hour. they can quickly make dozens of commuters within a few feet very sick. if someone used their hand to cover their sneeze, look out. >> they'll leave germs behind. say i come along to grab ahold of this pole, i'm going to pick up those germs without even knowing it. then i come over here and touch the seat, i'm going to leave those germs behind for the next unsuspecting commuter and it spreads from there.
5:07am
>> reporter: germs are so hardy, they can stay alive overnight. >> up to 24 hours. someone tomorrow morning gets on the subway, touches it, touches their face, introduces it into their body and they've got it. >> that could mean hundreds, thousands of people end up sick. >> i carry my hand san advertisadvertise sanitizer in my purse. >> when you're touching your face, you're essentially smearing the germ on to your face. any opening, nose, mouth, eyes, is a place where the germ can get into your body, start to incubate and cause infection. >> reporter: say the person who sneezed stops at the metro station to buy a subway card. he will leave those germs right here.
5:08am
germ-covered hand to open an office door or office refrigerator. maybe they're even sharing your computer. yuck. in a world where germs are the enemy, it's time to suit up for battle and keep your soap handy. and we are always suited up for battle here. >> yes. >> we have purell on everything single desk in our newsroom. it wait for somebody else to open a door. >> can you get that for me? >> it's gross. >> the idea that the germs stay for eight hours, that's the scary part. >> they can live on a subway pole, car, whatever it is you touch, depending how you commute. it's -- yeah, you don't really want to think about it. just wash your hands a lot. the 66,000 u.s. troops in afghanistan may be headed home sooner than expected. afghan president hamid karzai met with president obama yesterday and he and mr. obama agreed to a complete transition of combat operations by the end of 2014. president obama is considering keeping some troops, possibly
5:09am
3,000 to 9,000 in place after 2014 for counterterrorism and training, but only if they get immunity from prosecution and karzai signaled he may be willing to do that. new information on the prosecution scandal that rocked the secret service last year. three soldiers will be punished, forfeiting part of their salary and will have more than a month of extra work. several secret service agents and officials were accused of bringing prostitutes to their colombian hotel room prior to president obama coming there. project that could add an unknown number of jobs. that project? building a death star. yeah, like as in "the star wars" movie. it received more than -- the
5:10am
administration does not support blowing up planets. that's the end of it. of course, that's what you build a death star for. the white house also bulked at the $850 quadrillion price tag. we have more ahead this hour. >> here is what's coming up. imagine a rapist going free because of one employee's incompetence. multiply that by 800. we'll explain. what will the white house decide when it comes to gun control? all morning long, we'll put the proposals and the pushback in focus. he is being called the next phenom of mixed martial arts and is only 13. the albanian bear joins us live. i've always had to keep my eye on her... but, i didn't always watch out for myself. with so much noise about health care... i tuned it all out. with unitedhealthcare, i get information that matters...
5:11am
my individual health profile. not random statistics. they even reward me for addressing my health risks. so i'm doing fine... but she's still going to give me a heart attack. we're more than 78,000 people looking out for more than 70 million americans. that's health in numbers. unitedhealthcare. how did i know? well, i didn't really. see, i figured low testosterone would decrease my sex drive... but when i started losing energy and became moody...
5:12am
that's when i had an honest conversation with my doctor. we discussed all the symptoms... then he gave me some blood tests. showed it was low t. that's it. it was a number -- not just me. [ male announcer ] today, men with low t have androgel 1.62% (testosterone gel). the #1 prescribed topical testosterone replacement therapy, increases testosterone when used daily. women and children should avoid contact with application sites. discontinue androgel and call your doctor if you see unexpected signs of early puberty in a child, or signs in a woman, which may include changes in body hair or a large increase in acne, possibly due to accidental exposure. men with breast cancer or who have or might have prostate cancer, and women who are or may become pregnant or are breastfeeding, should not use androgel. serious side effects include worsening of an enlarged prostate, possible increased risk of prostate cancer, lower sperm count, swelling of ankles, feet, or body, enlarged or painful breasts, problems breathing during sleep, and blood clots in the legs. tell your doctor about your medical conditions and medications, especially insulin,
5:13am
corticosteroids, or medicines to decrease blood clotting. so...what do men do when a number's too low? turn it up! [ male announcer ] in a clinical study, over 80% of treated men had their t levels restored to normal. talk to your doctor about all your symptoms. get the blood tests. change your number. turn it up. androgel 1.62%.
5:14am
in washington and cities and towns across the country, guns right now are the hot topic. everyone is looking for a way to prevent attacks like the one in newtown and the 30 gun-related wh homicides that happen in america every day. we're focusing on that debate this morning. joining me now is john lott jr., gun rights expert and author of the book "more guns, less crime." it's not just the title of your book, john. it's good to have you with us. >> thank you. >> you argue that more concealed weapons actually does lead to less crime. i take it you're squarely behind the nra's suggestion at having armed guards at every school. are you? >> no. i think it's more complicated than that. the problem is that when you have a uniformed arm guard they'll be the first target often that's there. it will be a costly proposal and it's fairly limited in terms of
5:15am
what it can do. there are cases where armed guards have slowed attacks and allowed people to escape. but in terms of cost benefit it's not the best solution. i think the best solution is to go back to where we were in the country prior to the end of '95, when we allowed permit holders to be able to go and carry concealed handguns on school proper property. there's some states that allow that now. the states allowed concealed carry back in '95 and earlier, allowed it at that time. we have a lot of information on how well that worked. there's not one problem that i know of or that anybody has been able to show with any of those people carrying permits at that time. >> i think there would be a lot of people who question your assertion that there are no problems with people who carry permits aat that time. i'm glad i'm having you on -- >> give an example. >> i've seen other interviews where you have been on. >> right. >> and not been able to finish a sentence. i want you to tell me why more
5:16am
guns equals less crime. >> well, every place that there has been a ban for guns, whether it be in d.c. or chicago in the united states or around the world, island nations even, when you ban guns, we've seen increases in murder rates all the time. you look at these multiple-victim public shootings. with just one exception, since at least 1950, every single one has occurred where guns are banned. take the oaurora, colorado, shooting from last july. there were seven movie theaters within the killer's apartment showing the batman movie. he didn't go to the closest theater to his home. he didn't go to the theater that had the largest auditorium. instead he went to th single auditorium that posted signs banning concealed weapons. you see that time after time. >> here is my question, john.
5:17am
what you're giving me is post hac, after, therefore, because of. fact a, guns are banned. fact b, a shooting happened. what you're not giving me is the direct correlation between the strict laws and the complete tie to the shooting. do you know -- have you spoken with gyms holmes? do you know he went to that theater because of the gun ban or because he could park close to the back door, or because he could go through one set of double doors instead of three? how do you draw the direct correlation? you're just giving me two facts and saying, look, it must make sense. draw the correlation for me. >> sure. take the columbine shooting. dylan klebold was strongly against the carry law there. the state speaker of the house there said at the time that
5:18am
klebold was writing state legislatures, opposed of the concealed carry there. he was particularly upset that they would allow concealed carry on school campuses. the very day of the columbine attack, the very day that the concealed carry law was scheduled for final passage. >> i need you to give me the direct correlation. you haven't even used the word because in your list of these facts. what i'm asking you when you say where guns are banned there is an increase in crime. in many places, that is true. unfortunately for you in australia and the u.k. where gun laws are strict, the gun laws have decreased year to year recently. >> that's not true. you can go to the home office in the uncht k. and you'll see immediately after the '97 ban on handguns, the murder rate soared there. >> and that was 1997?
5:19am
it's 2013. >> january '97, right. >> if you go and look, you can graph it out. i have it on my website. you can go to the home office documents yourself and see that there was immediate huge increase there and it's still higher now than it was before the ban was put into place. you look at d.c. and chicago. i mean, d.c., before its ban, ranked about 20th in terms of top cities in murder rates. after the ban went into effect, d.c. was number one or number two. was in the top four two-thirds of the time. immediately after the ban and, more importantly, the gun lock laws were eliminated in d.c., d.c.'s murder rate has fallen by 52% in four years. that's a huge drop. and it started right when -- >> we have to wrap up because we're low on time but it's great to have this conversation
5:20am
sometimes without the emotion and i like that you bring the facts. >> i agree. >> and just the logic. however, you're giving me fact a, fact b and not drawing the direct correlation. you're asking everyone to make that jump that crime stats are based on the laws in that community. but i know this conversation will continue. i thank you for coming on. >> thank you very much. >> next hour, the other side of the debate, we'll talk to a reverend about gun control and whether the clergy should play a role in this political discussion. ♪ into a scooter that talks to the cloud? ♪ or turn 30-million artifacts... ♪ into a high-tech masterpiece? ♪ whatever your business challenge, dell has the technology and services to help you solve it. whatever your business challenge, are you flo? yes. is this the thing you gave my husband?
5:21am
well, yeah, yes. the "name your price" tool. you tell us the price you want to pay, and we give you a range of options to choose from. careful, though -- that kind of power can go to your head. that explains a lot. yo, buddy! i got this. gimme one, gimme one, gimme one! the power of the "name your price" tool. only from progressive. when i'm out with my kids, my daughter's like, "mom, wait up!" and i'm thinking, "shouldn't you have more energy than me? you're, like, eight!" [ male announcer ] for every 2 pounds you lose through diet and exercise alli can help you lose one more by blocking some of the fat you eat. simple. effective. advantage: mom. let's fight fat with alli. learn more, lose more at letsfightfat.com.
5:22am
with odor free aspercreme. powerful medicine relieves pain fast, with no odor. so all you notice is relief. aspercreme.
5:23am
>> good morning, washington, d.c. foggy around white house there. hopefully, the fog will lift and it will be a beautiful day. glad you're with us here on cnn saturday morning. let's talk sports, shall we? >> yes. >> certainly the story of junior seau, very sad story, of course. you may recall he committed suicide last may. his family agreed to have his brain tested. long-time football player, 43 years old. it turns out that he has what's called cte, which is something that, you know, caused him a lot of pain over the years and
5:24am
alzheimer's-like symptoms, depression, forgetfulness, aggression. all kind of things like that. it all comes down to getting hit in the head. >> it came to his job. he gets hit in the head as a player on this team so many time s. over his career, the blows to the head have, indeed, cause this had brain disease, played pro football for 20 years before his suicide. his family donated his brain to science. hopefully, we'll learn more about this disease and how it relates to blows to the head. >> yeah. and he's not the only one. >> yeah. >> there's a lawsuit against the nfl brought by other players because of this very thing. let's go to baseball and drug testing. players have now agreed to in-season random testing for hgh. i mean, first -- this is the first american pro u.s. league to test for human fwroeth hormone.
5:25am
for years season after season the players said no. but now they've given in. >> they were doing it during the off season? >> yes. >> it's a blood test that will take place before the games and see what's in their system. >> we know that the announcement of the hall of famers, not having roger clemens, barry bonds or sammy sosa, because of the doping, has really put a black eye on that sport. and hopefully, this will clear up something. >> we'll see. and tiger woods, boy oh, boy, making headlines again. he won't be playing in a golf tournament, by the way, in qatar. apparently he was demanding big money, $3 million. that's what he asks for when he -- it's his appearance fee. the folks and fans there just said uh-uh, not worth the price tag there. >> yeah. >> and they didn't buy it. they didn't buy in. >> here is why. he demands $3 million. the prize for winning this was $2.5. >> yeah. >> so you could play all day and not win as much money or go home
5:26am
with as much money as tiger because he just showed up. >> i'm sure they would maybe have given him a little less money. who knows? he could have had this beautiful tournament to play in. he once made like $17 million for doing something like this. high demand, i guess, when they want you. >> good work if you can get it. >> yeah. hundreds of rape cases in new york city are being reviewed all because of the work of one lab tech. what that worker is accused of doing. but first, a chicago chef is creating a stir with customers over his creative food art, using unexpected tools in the kitchen to create progressive american cuisine. gary tuchman explains in this week's start small, think big. >> reporter: known for creating food art at his world famous restaurant in chicago. he uses laboratory equipment in the kitchen and lab tools.
5:27am
>> constant evolution and expression of creativity. historically, eating was about nourishment. we wanted to elevate that to an art form. >> reporter: the anti-griddle to freeze food instead of cook it. >> this surface is really very hard, but this surface is cream. we use it for extracting aroma and clarifying liquids. >> reporter: liquid nitrogen to freeze food and create drama. >> we've changed the culinary landscape in that we can manipulate certain ingredients that never before have been able to manipulated. >> reporter: edible balloon and chocolate mat. at his cocktail lounge, the aviary, super chiller creates ice for drinks like this one, called the old fashioned. it's anything but.
5:28am
new technology, new possibilities. we're always looking at that. always. what are you doing? nothing. are you stealing our daughter's school supplies and taking them to work? no, i was just looking for my stapler and my... this thing. i save money by using fedex ground and buy my own supplies. that's a great idea. i'm going to go... we got clients in today. [ male announcer ] save on ground shipping at fedex office. progress-oh! -oh! -oh! oh! oh! ♪ what do you know? oh! ♪ bacon? -oh! -oh! oh! [ female announcer ] with 40 delicious progresso soups at 100 calories or less, there are plenty of reasons people are saying "progress-oh!"
5:29am
share your story for a chance to win a progress-oh! makeover in hollywood. go to facebook.com/progresso to enter. officemax can help you drive supply costs... down... ...and down. just use your maxperks card and get a case of x-9 paper for only 1-cent after maxperks rewards. find thousands of big deals now... ...at officemax.
5:30am
5:31am
bottom of the hour now. welcome back, everyone. i'm randi kaye. >> i'm victor blackwell. thanks for starting your morning with us. here are five stories we're watching this morning. number one story is the flu outbreak that is sweeping across the country. new numbers from the cdc show a bit of good news, though. the spread appears to have slowed in some areas, but officials don't yet know if the season has peaked. so far, 20 children have died and state reports show that dozens of adults have also died. officials also add it's not too late to get the flu shot, which can help prevent or lessen the flu's effects. bombshell report about lance armstrong. last week it came out that the cyclist may admit to doping. but now "usa today" is reporting that it will go down monday with oprah.
5:32am
"usa today" says the announcement is both a personal and business decision he has been cornered into because of all the evidence against him. bp has settled with as many as 100,000 plaintiffs who claim they were sickened or hurt by the 2010 gulf oil disaster. a federal judge in new orleans signed off on the deal yesterday. the medical settlement covers clean-up workers and residents who live near the spill zone. bp spokesman says the company is, quote, pleased with the settlement. the body of a million dollar lottery winner will now be exhumed for testing after it was proven that he died from cyanide poisoning. so far, no arrests have been made. an attorney defending an alleged rapist in steubenville, ohio, is asking the court to move a trial to another location. he also wants to postpone the trial and close it to the public. he says it's because of the publicity of the case, possible
5:33am
threats to witnesses and the safety of the defendants. two high school football players are accused of raping a 16-year-old girl after a night of partying. more than 800 rape cases in new york city are being scrutinized by the medical examiner's office. a lab technician may have mishandled critical dna evidence. let's bring in cnn legal contributor paul cowan to talk about this. good morning to you. >> good morning. >> this sounds like a real mess. there is talk that this lab tech, who hasn't been identified, overlooked evidence, botched chemical tests, possibly even cross contaminated nearly a dozen rape kits. isn't there some type of protocol to prevent one tech from causing such confusion? >> well, it's a major scandal, randi. you know, the new york m.e.'s office prides itself in technology, involved with identifying thousands of remains from 9/11 using dna technology. now this particular lab
5:34am
technician handled some 800 cases that are being looked at over a ten-year period and they're discovering a lot of errors in her work. of course, juries look at this stuff as the gold standard of guilt or innocence, dna. if you now establish that there are problems, it's going to cause issues in court. >> yeah. let's talk about dna. it certainly has -- testing dna certainly has become better over the years. i mean, you were a prosecutor and you also worked defense. put into context how much lawyers may rely on dna evidence. it's been used so often to either convict or exonerate someone. >> yes. it's particularly used in rape cases where sometimes the man and the woman -- there's a dispute about whether the rape actually occurred. and, of course, semen can be used, blood can be used to link the rapist to his victim. and some of these cases that the new york m.e.'s office are
5:35am
looking at are, in fact, rape cases. you started out with the question, how can we prevent this from happening. i think you need strong regulation of these labs. we're looking at this story. it's now shocking because it's happening in new york with a huge medical examiner's office. in researching this, it's happened in texas. it's happened in virginia. it's happened in north carolina. in the famous o.j. simpson case, there was an allegation that dna samples had been mixed up. and that probably contributed to the acquittal in that case. this has to be regulated carefully. you need top-quality lab assistants and their work has to be regulated. she worked for ten years and only now are these errors being discovered. >> there's talk now of using low copy number dna which is transmitted only by touch. what's this about? would this be more of a safeguard? >> no, i don't think low copy
5:36am
dna would solve the problem. low copy dna techniques would allow you to save a sample, even if you have a microscopic or very small amount of sample available because of result of contamination by human error you can still test adequate ly. in this case, what the technician is accused of doing is missing samples completely. for instance, she would be given a garment that had either blood or semen on it and wouldn't find anything on it. >> which is exactly what she's supposed to be trained to find. >> exactly. and when they retested a couple of these documents -- these items of garment, they found dna samples that, in fact, identified rapists. now, fortunately, one of the guys was already incarcerated, a sex offender. the other was somebody who already had been convicted. so no innocent person, says the m.e.'s office, has been affected by this. but it's something to look at. jurors will look at it now and say, hey, do we have to worry about this dna evidence?
5:37am
>> absolutely. >> it's the gold standard and maybe the gold standard is losing its luster. >> we'll see what happens with this one. paul cowan, thank you so much. enjoy your saturday. >> okay. thank you. you, too, randi. >> thank you. president obama nominates new cabinet members. the academy nominates great performers. in case you missed it all, here is a look back now at the week that was. >> former senator chuck hagel may need those war survivor skills. >> his leadership of our military would be historic. >> this is an in-your-face nomination by the president. two nightmarish incidents are now under investigation. >> fuel leak is always a serious matter. >> what a beautiful woman. >> i think the media has been unfair to him. >> beautiful woman, few ugly plane problems and key cabinet picks like chuck hagel. >> i came to admire his courage, his judgment, his willingness to speak his mind, even if it
5:38am
wasn't popular. >> turns out he's not too popular with some. >> chuck hagel, if confirmed to be secretary of defense, would be the most antagonistic secretary of defense toward the state of israel in our nation's history. >> profoundly wrong on some of the biggest national security threats confronting the united states today. mechanical problems keep rolling in for boeing's 787 dreamliner. >> more like a nightmare. three of boeing's brand new planes suffered a slue of issues. >> fire and leaking fuel. >> error message related to the plane's braking system. >> all these little glitches that boeing says they are, or is there something else that's happening? >> reporter: nope. boeing says just growing pains. but airlines are growing impatient. >> they have a quality problem. and this quality problem should be resolved. >> reporter: speaking of problems. >> wow, i tell you quarterbacks, you get all the good-looking women. what a beautiful woman. >> wow! >> whoa!
5:39am
>> reporter: that's legendary sportscaster brent musberger oozing over the 23-year-old girlfriend of the alabama quarterback. >> musberger, chill out, baby. >> some thought it was creepy, but not the beautiful woman herself. >> the fact that he said we were beautiful and gorgeous, i don't see why any woman wouldn't be flattered by that. >> reporter: while we're talking sports, this year's hall of famers for baseball are -- no one. well, three who died will get in. but barry bonds, roger clemens, sammy sosa all shut out of cooperstown this year. let's face it. you can't be linked to doping and expect enshrinement, right? academy awards were announced, lincoln leads the pack with 12 nods, twilight in second with 11. yeah, just kidding. that's razzie nominations.
5:40am
twilight for worst everything. at least they got recognized for something. and that's the week that was. they call him punch a baby for a reason. we'll introduce you to a world champion fighter. you will not believe how old he is. my husband and i can't stop eating 'em! what's...that... on your head? can curlers! tomato basil, potato with bacon... we've got a lot of empty cans. [ male announcer ] progresso. you gotta taste this soup. we've got a lot of empty cans. iimagine living your life withss less chronic low back pain.. imagine you with less pain. cymbalta can help. cymbalta is fda-approved to manage chronic musculoskeletal pain. one non-narcotic pill a day, every day, can help reduce this pain. tell your doctor right away if your mood worsens, you have unusual changes in mood or behavior or thoughts of suicide. antidepressants can increase these in children, teens, and young adults. cymbalta is not for children under 18. people taking maois, linezolid or thioridazine or with
5:41am
uncontrolled glaucoma should not take cymbalta. taking it with nsaid pain relievers, aspirin or blood thinners may increase bleeding risk. severe liver problems, some fatal, were reported. signs include abdominal pain and yellowing skin or eyes. tell your doctor about all your medicines, including those for migraine and while on cymbalta, call right away if you have high fever, confusion and stiff muscles or serious allergic skin reactions like blisters, peeling rash, hives, or mouth sores to address possible life-threatening conditions. talk about your alcohol use, liver disease and before you reduce or stop cymbalta. dizziness or fainting may occur upon standing. ask your doctor about cymbalta. imagine you with less pain. cymbalta can help. go to cymbalta.com to learn about a free trial offer.
5:42am
5:43am
welcome back. 41 minutes past the hour now. all kinds of nicknames from punch baby to albanian bear. champion might be the one he hears the most. joining me now live from new york. thanks for being here. good morning. >> good morning. >> i want to talk to you about your fighting. i really want our viewers to get a good look at you in action. i want to show some of this video. it was shot by thinker. it shows you here, in the ring. i mean, you do not stop. you're quick. you're a national boxing champion. you're a seven-time north american championship, junior olympic boxing champion. i'm looking at you take on your instructor there. so, tell me, as we look at this, why fighting?
5:44am
what do you like about it so much? and how did you get so good at it? >> well, my dad said when i was a little baby, i used to punch a lot. well, after i tried two sports, i didn't really like -- depending on if he messed up, the whole team messed up. but boxing, if you mess up, it's your fault. but if you win, you know you're the person that won. >> you look so brave, though. you really take these people on, even the adults. what are you thinking about when you're in that ring and when you're fighting? >> when i'm in the ring, i usually feel two things. i have to feel mentally and physically able to compete. but also if you compete and you're like not able to like physically prepare, i still try to fight. >> and your dad teaches you the moves. his father taught him the boxing moves and your dad is very much
5:45am
on your mind in the ring as well, right? >> yeah. >> is there a lot of pressure? >> it kind of is. because when he comes, i have to like win it, but at the same time i want to win myself. i also want to make him proud of what i'm doing for most of my life, which is boxing, wrestling, jujitsu. >> you've already accomplished so much, as we said, winning so many championships. do you see yourself continuing fighting or do you want to try another sport? >> actually, i actually want to continue boxing and stuff. i kind of like it. i like it better than other sports. >> what do your friends think of what you do? >> they think it's amazing how i box. a lot of people like football and team sports. but individual sports, people just think it's amazing how you're the only person that's like trying to win. >> yeah. so when there's a fight in the schoolyard, are you the one who
5:46am
settles it? do you even have time for school with all that you're doing? >> usually i don't like to fight in school. it's not the right thing to do. but certain time or situation, i'll fight, honestly. i try to like avoid it till i try to go into the ring. that's the only time i'm fighting. >> how do you balance school work with everything you're doing? there's probably a lot of kids who say, hey, i want to do something like that, but who has the time? i need to study. >> i do my homework sometimes at school, sometimes during my lunch period. i go home. i eat. i do my homework and after i'm done with that, i go to training. >> that's a lot of work. >> yeah. >> and a lot of dedication. reshat mati, we will continue to follow your career. thank you. >> thank you. the golden globes are
5:47am
tomorrow night. the hosts of the show, tina fey, amy poehler, they're bringing something new, an official drinking game. we'll explain.
5:48am
5:49am
♪ ♪ ♪ [ male announcer ] some day, your life will flash before your eyes. ♪ make it worth watching. ♪ the new 2013 lexus ls. an entirely new pursuit.
5:50am
when traveling to other cities and countries, the best way to get a real taste of the place is through the local food. cnn ireport has now teamed up with travel & leisure magazine to create a global list of 100 places to eat like a local. here is cnn's anna coren in beijing with a sample. >> reporter: hi, i'm anna coren in beijing. when i want to eat like a local, i come here. follow me. >> got corn cakes here and some
5:51am
brown sugar rolls here. >> reporter: what are we going to order? >> we'll be ordering noodles and some -- >> reporter: sounds good. looks good. she has owned this place for 30 years, which is quite extraordinary. and she's sitting down with us now. i want to ask her about this food, what is so special about this food. >> translator: my restaurant is famo famous. our food is made with care and it really has the old beijing flavor. >> translator: the for bidden city had a dish called stewed pork. ordinary citizens changed the recipe over time and started usiuse ing intestines and organs. >> reporter: this is the dish if you want to come here, heart,
5:52am
intestines and liver. i'm assured by the chef it's very nutritious, very good for you. this place is known for pig's liver, chicken's heart, cow intestines. so if you want to be a tourist, go to the places in the guide book. if you want to be a local, eat like a local, come here. >> ireporters, here is your chance to help create a food lover's map of the world. go to ireport.com/100places. send us a photo of your favorite restaurant and dish and why it's special and how you discovered the place. the definitive list of 100 places of how to eat like a local will be in march and some ireporters will be on that lit. stay tuned to see if you will be one of them. we'll be back.
5:53am
and cut! very good. people are always asking me how we make these geico adverts. so we're taking you behind the scenes. this coffee cup, for example, is computer animated. it's not real. geico's customer satisfaction is quite real though. this computer-animated coffee tastes dreadful. geico. 15 minutes could save you 15 % or more on car insurance. someone get me a latte will ya, please? to volunteer to help those in need. when a twinge of back pain surprises him. morning starts in high spirits,
5:54am
but there's a growing pain in his lower back. as lines grow longer, his pain continues to linger. but after a long day of helping others, he gets some helpful advice. just two aleve have the strength to keep back pain away all day. today, jason chose aleve. just two pills for all day pain relief. try aleve d for strong, all day long sinus and headache relief. your doctor will say get smart about your weight. i tried weight loss plans... but their shakes aren't always made for people with diabetes. that's why there's glucerna hunger smart shakes. they have carb steady, with carbs that digest slowly to help minimize blood sugar spikes. and they have six grams of sugars. with fifteen grams of protein to help manage hunger... look who's getting smart about her weight. [ male announcer ] glucerna hunger smart. a smart way to help manage hunger and diabetes.
5:55am
the movie "lincoln" received 12 oscar nominations. that's right. yeah. yeah. you know what that means. sequel! huh? "lincoln 2:the lincolning" "lincoln 2: breaking dawn." >> weekend at abe's.
5:56am
>> weekend at abe's! >> there were some snubs and some surprises. here is a look at nominees for best picture. >> they think we're all going to drowned down here, but we ain't going nowhere. >> ♪ 24601 the time is up and your parole's begun you know what that means ♪ ♪ yes means i'm free >> what are you doing? >> i am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist, philosopher, but above all, i am a man. >> what's your name, boy? >> his name is django freeman. >> where did you dig him up? >> this is it. there's nobody else hidden away
5:57am
on some other floor. there's just us. we are failing. >> are you going to walk me home or what? >> you mean me? >> yeah, you. are you going to walk me home? >> you have poor social skills. you have a problem. >> i have a problem? you say more inappropriate things in appropriate things. >> blood has been spilled. this moment now, now, now. >> i've got a lot of catching up to do on movies. the oscars are still more than a month away. we've got another big show coming up this weekend, the golden globes, hollywood's second biggest night of the year. earlier, i spoke with entertainment correspondent nischelle turner, about the nominations. >> everybody will look to see
5:58am
how top nominee "lincoln" will fair at the golden globes. steven spielberg drama is going in with seven nominations, the clear front-runner for best picture in the drama category, up against "django unchained," "life of pi" "zero dark thirty" and ags "argo." >> let's talk about the best actors in the drama category. is daniel day lewis also -- is he a lock this year? >> you know, it's hard to say that anyone is a lock, because i think, especially in the best actor categories, there were so many strong performances this year that, to me, anyone could win and they would be justified. but daniel day lewis is up for the movie "lincoln." he is up against richard gere for "arbitrage," john hawkes for "the sessions" joaquin phoenix
5:59am
in "the master." that performance that he did was phenomen phenomenal. and denzel washington in "flight," which i think is his best performance ever. i never thought i would say that after seeing him in malcolm x. and denzel washington is, well, denzel. >> he gets better and sbert and better with each performance. >> exactly. >> in "zero dark thirty" apparently jessica chastain is phenomenal. >> yes. you need to spend an entire day at the movie theater. >> i know. >> she is. voters had very difficult decisions to make. looking at jessica chastain for "zero dark thirty." there's also helen mirren for "hitchcock," and naomi watts for
6:00am
"the impossible." and also rachel weisz for "deep blue sea." >> listen why tina says she thinks they're a perfect fit for this show. >> okay. >> well, we decided to host because the golden globes seem like they're pretty fun. >> yeah. we've been to them before and it's a very kind of sloppy loud party and that seemed like our kind of thing. >> who doesn't love a sloppy, loud party, right? >> you know, they're going to actually help us have a sloppy, loud party at home with a drinking game for the show. >> can i tell you how excited i am to see these ladies host the golden globes? this, i think, is going to be so much fun. yeah, everyone is talking about what we can expect from them. they are have kicked off this drinking game. here are some of the rules. first of all, any time an actress cries during a speech, have a drink. any time you see a person actively not listening to someone on stage, take a drink. >> yes. >> any time someone says i
6:01am
didn't prepare anything, drink! there are going to be people, i bet you, that are doing this at home. i do think that the ladies would tell you if you're following these rules, wear lots of layers but also drink responsibly. good morning, everyone. i'm randi kaye. >> i'm victor blackwell. it's 9:00 on the east coast. 6:00 am out west. thanks for starting your day with us. >> we begin with the deadly flu epidemic that has gripped the nation. 47 states to be exact. new information from the cdc shows that just three states, california, hawaii, and mississippi, are the only places where the flu is not widespread. our chief medical correspondent, dr. sanjay gupta, has some tips now on recognizing the bug and how to get through it. >> randi, it's the worst flu season in years. we've been talking about it all week. emergency rooms in many places overflowing. it's a fast-moving story. here is what you need to know.
6:02am
the flu strikes fast and symptoms, much more severe than a common cold. you feel fine one day and then the next, a sudden fever, sore throat, headache and tightness in the chest. >> over 200,000 people every year are hospitalized with influenza and anywhere from three to nearly 50,000 people will die each year. >> reporter: flu cases are at epidemic proportions in areas of the country. it's the most we've seen this time of year in a decade. >> they may get more complications from this particular h3n2 strain, which may make them ill for a longer period of time. >> the active strain is h3n2, tends to produce stronger symptoms, appears earlier in the season. and it is highly contagious. when someone coughs or sneezes, these tiny droplets are released into the air. you can breathe them in. but they can also live on surfaces. they can stay on these surfaces for eight hours.
6:03am
say your co-worker is sick. you come over, use their keyboard. you have the germs on your hand. you touch your nose or mouth, now you're infected. and the problem escalates if you spend several hours in tight quarters, like on an airplane. at highest risk, passengers two rows in front or behind the infected person. best way to kill those germs is to wash your hands and do it often and use real soap and real water. the problem is that most people don't actually wash their hands long enough. my best advice, actually sing the happy birthday song twice while you're washing your hands. it's not quick to get rid of these viruses. another key to prevention is getting the flu shot. getting vaccinated reduces your risk of getting the flu by around 60%. another benefit to getting your flu shot is if you do get sick, your symptoms won't last as long, it won't be as severe as compared to those who weren't
6:04am
vaccinated. back to you. >> thanks, sanjay, very much. disgraced psycyclist lance armstrong may be ready to come clean. "usa today" is reporting that he plans to fess up to doping in an interview with oprah next week. i spoke exclusively to the man who broke the story, brent schotenboer. >> oprah winfrey is coming to his house in texas, they're going to tape an interview and that will air next thursday. as to why he is doing this now, the evidence came out against him, massive file of evidence came out against him in october. in the three months since then, he has been keeping a pretty low profile. and i think he has been deciding what to do about it. he has kind of cornered himself because for many years now he strenuously denied these doping allegations. and with all the evidence that's come out against him, it's hard to deny it anymore. and he's making a calculated
6:05am
decision for himself, personally, it's also a business decision for him because it's affecting his charity, live strong. all his sponsors have fired him. i think when he goes out in public now, he's getting a different reception than one he used to get. if he did dope and lied about it for many years. and so this is really a personal decision for him and also a calculated business decision for him. >> "the new york times" has said that he would admit to doping so that he could, again, race competitively, professionally as a cycler. how likely is that? >> not very likely any time soon, according to the world anti-doping agency code. somebody who has a lifetime ban for doping, they could get their lifetime ban reduced to no less than eight years if they meet a
6:06am
heavy burden and that burden is for that person to provide substantial assistance to anti-doping officials about cheating in sports and cheating in psycycling and helping the anti-doping officials to catch other cheaters. and he would have to do that. he would have to provide a lot of testimony about that, if he wanted to get his ban reduced. the rule book says no less than eight years. right now he's 41. so eight years from now, he would be 49. and i don't know how interested he would be in compete iing at t age. but possibly because it's lance armstrong and depending what kind of information he provides them, the governing bodies in international sports make some kind of agreement to go outside the rule book and cut that ban down to less than eight years. >> and if he, indeed, admits to doping, we'll have to see if
6:07am
there are legal ramifications, as we discussed with brent, to that admission. there's new information on the secret service prostitution scandal. >> this is the one that captured the headlines when president obama headed down to colombia for an official visit last april. cnn pentagon correspondent chris lawrence has more. >> reporter: well, randi, victor, the prostitution scandal that embarrassed the u.s. secret service and the u.s. government just won't go away. after an investigation, three more u.s. army soldiers have now been disciplined for their part. all three received letters of reprimand. two of the three also had to give up their pay for a couple of months and do extra duty. again, this involved about a dozen u.s. service members who admitted taking prostitutes back to their hotel rooms last april. this was just prior to a visit by president barack obama. also implicated were three dea agents and about 13 u.s. secret
6:08am
service agents, most of whom resigned or retired. prostitution is legal in colombia. ultimately the investigation found that there was no security risk to president obama himself, but it humiliated the very proud secret service and some of the other government workers, obviously, who have been caught up in this scandal. randi, victor? >> chris lawrence, thank you very much. the 66,000 u.s. troops in afghanistan may be headed home sooner than expected. afghan president hamid karzai met with president obama in washington yesterday. he and mr. obama agreed to a complete transition of combat operation operations by the end of 2014. president obama is considering keeping some troops, possibly between 3,000 to 9,000, in place after 2014 for counterterrorism and training but only if they get immunity from prosecution. karzai signaled he may be willing to do that. faith leaders talk gun
6:09am
control at the white house. you'll meet one of the men who sat down at the table with vice president biden. now count the number of buttons on your tablet. isn't it time the automobile advanced? introducing cue in the all-new cadillac xts. the simplicity of a tablet has come to your car. ♪ the all-new cadillac xts has arrived. and it's bringing the future forward. you paid...wow. hmmm. let's see if walmart can help you find the same look for less. okay. see? walmart has all these leading eyewear brands and styles. rockstar! really? yeah. oh, wow! oh, black frame looks good on you. yeah? you can get a complete pair starting at just -- $38. really?! and did you know that our glasses come with a free 12-month replacement guarantee? i didn't know walmart had all this. the price is impressive, the quality is too! come to walmart and see for yourself. find rollbacks on the contact lenses you want. like the acuvue oasys -- now $27.88.
6:10am
walmart. i just served my mother-in-law your chicken noodle soup but she loved it so much... i told her it was homemade. everyone tells a little white lie now and then. but now she wants my recipe [ clears his throat ] [ softly ] she's right behind me isn't she? [ male announcer ] progresso. you gotta taste this soup.
6:11am
6:12am
welcome back. ten minutes past the hour now. the national rifle association is gear iing up for one of its toughest fights for years. president obama is pushing for stricter gun laws after the newtown massacre in connecticut. vice president biden has been meeting with voices from various sides of the issue, including those for and against gun controls. reverend michael mcbride was one of the 12 national faith leaders invited to the white house. he joins us this morning. reverend, nice to see you. take us behind closed doors, if you will, and give us the headlines. what did you, the vice president and others discuss? >> good morning, randi. certainly, thank you for having me here. we had a wonderful opportunity to have a constructive conversation with our vice president and his task force about the importance of having a
6:13am
very moral voice and imperative to address the spiraling and out-of-control gun violence in our country. it was an amazing opportunity for a number of us faith leaders across this country from various different faith traditions and denominations to lift up our voices in concert and talk about the moral imperatives that are before us to address all the many forms of gun violence that continue to shatter and impact so many lives in our country. >> did the vice president ask for ideas and also i'm curious if he sent you back with a message to bring to your congregation. >> well, certainly, there were a number of ideas that were talked about. i personally carried into the conversation a story of one of my young teenagers that i had to bury. at his funeral there were over
6:14am
500 teenagers in the church during the funeral and i asked them how many had been to more than one funeral, more than two funerals, i got all the way up to ten funerals and over half of the young people wept with their hands in the air. it was an important moment because i believe in all of our bishops and clergy across the country believe that this tragic incident is an opportunity to unite all americans around common sense solutions to address gun violence. and we were able to lift up a lot of the same strategies of universal background checks, assault weapons bans, mental health interventions, but also comprehensive and proven targeted strategies to address violence in cities all across this country. >> let me ask you why there does appear to be divide among christians when it comes to gun contr control. a survey taken before the newtown shooting showed that
6:15am
white evangelical protestants were less likely to favor tighter gun laws than catholics. white main line protestants are religiously unaffiliated americans. why do you think that is? >> thank you for that question. that's a wonderful question. we should not be surprised that many of our people of faith in this country who are all americans are very much passionate about the second amendment and gun rights. at the same time, we should not be surprised that there are just as many people of faith, if not more, who are all in favor of common sense gun laws and promoting a culture of peace and healing in our communities. and i believe that it is our time and our moment to look within ourselves and the principles of our faith to unite our country around a common, moral imperative to address the gun violence that is in our country. even to those statistics that you just lifted up.
6:16am
interestingly enough, the national association of evangelicals have put out their most recent report that over 70% of evangelical leaders all support common sense gun law. it is an opportunity for us as leaders to go back to our congregations, communities across this country with our wonderful diversity and share that we have a moment to unite our country around common sense gun laws that saves lives. >> this may be the moment but certainly the nra is gearing up for a fight. joe biden said maybe the president might take executive action here, executive order. are you confident that something will change, that something will get done? >> i'm not only confident, i'm filled with hope. i'm filled with optimism. many nra members agree with these common sense gun laws. it is a very small number of nra lobbyists, gun industry advocates who are really not
6:17am
representing the will of their own membership. so part of what is important for all of us people of faith, nra members, all of us, is to make sure that we do not let a small number of profiteering nra executives hijack this conversation and cause us to miss this moment, to make sure that our children can live in neighborhoods, schools free from the fear of gun violence. and i believe that we're up for the challenge. >> reverend michael mcbride, pleasure to see you this morning. thank you. >> thank you, randi. god bless you. so how much can you really tell about a person from his or her handwriting? we'll talk to one document examiner about what to look for the next time you read a letter.
6:18am
6:19am
6:20am
when lew splaped his fiscal philosophy, saying, quote, i describe budgets of tapestry. when it's woven together, it amounts to the hopes and dreams of our nation. >> president obama announced the nomination of his white house chief of staff jack lew. but his bizarre signature, as
6:21am
you saw there, is what's really making some headlines. take a look at this. it's sort of like a telephone cord or bunch of curly fries. if he gets that job, those squiggles will be on all of our bills. >> here is a sample of what a new dollar bill will look like with lew's signature in the bottom right corner there, which made all of us kind of think, what does your handwriting reveal and what is in a signature? document examiner kurt bagget joins us from dallas. there is a bit of a delay. just bear with us. let's start with jack lew. can you take anything away from just that line of squiggles? >> oh, sure. you can see a lot. >> tell us what you see. >> well, almost nothing. jack lew wants you to know nothing about what he's thinking or about what he's doing. you could almost see the j in the first letter.
6:22am
alternative is that you see nothing else. it does reveal something. what it reveals, because of the circles, is that he's a methodical and deliberate thinker. so he doesn't want you to know. he doesn't display any of his personality in each letter because there's no letters there. what it does show you, however, is that he is a takeover king, kind of like you, victor. >> oh! >> and, of course, randi. large beginning strokes indicate that he loves responsibility. as the end stroke is a little caution. but he's the kind of guy that spends a lot of time by himself. he is very happy with himself. he probably eats lunch at his desk every day. the end stroke in many of his signatures goes up, which is a contradiction of what we see in his signature because it indicates he wants to be the
6:23am
center of attention but he doesn't want to tell you anything about himself. you see a lot even though he doesn't show it. >> it doesn't even look like his name, though. i have to say. i think our signatures look a little more like our real name. i want you to take a look at my writing that we sent to you yesterday as an example. and then we'll do victor's. take a look here. this is what i sent you, kurt. tell me what you can about my sloppy handwriting. >> i knew you were pretty but even prettier than your handwriting indicates. it shows that you're nice, average staff is 145. genius is 139. on top of that, you analyze everything instantly. you can't stand slow thinkers, slow movers, dummies. look at your large d in the dear curt. you are takeover queen, too, which is a contradiction. so is victor. you love responsibility. you're going to be in charge one way or the other. you will take over. you have a little irritation going on when you were writing
6:24am
this and something happened to you when you were about 12 years old, which is trauma. i do not know what it is. you have an eternal quest for knowledge. you love to learn. you have an eternal quest for knowledge which probably means you learn a lot if you have time. you probably have a sugar problem because your handwriting from one word to the other leans to the right which means you're outgoing, caring, friendly, and then it goes back to the left, which means you go back into your shell, which means you have an emotional sugar problem. >> wow! >> i feel like i need some therapy after that analysis. >> no, you're great. i pronounce you in good mental health. >> excellent. thank you. >> so it's my turn. let's put up my letter to you, curt. oh, this is bad. what does my handwriting say about me? >> well, you have an injury across the shoulder, collar bone or neck. did you play football? >> i didn't, but i did go back
6:25am
after i heard about your findings and starting searching and i did find a scar on my left shoulder, but go ahead. >> the big beginning letter in the d indicates that you, too, are takeover king, you see. and i forgot to tell randi, she's a control freak, too. >> he knows that already. >> got it. >> you have a really big ego and you develop some caution but your writing is very large, victor, which indicates that you are a really fun guy. you would be fun at the party. you're also a loner. you think you can do the job all by yourself and you don't trust anybody. you are super, super smart. you, too, are a control freak. you don't like to be forced to do something, victor. if somebody tries to force you to do thing s you do the opposite. and i think they call that defiance.
6:26am
>> i am enjoying this. i especially like the ego part. i wonder if we should have pretaped with this and edited some of the negative things out. >> right. >> we have some staff members that also sent you some samples. one of our producers, harrison, he says our executive producer, nora, is probably the meanest on the team. i know you have a sample from her. we don't really believe that. we love nora. take a look at nora's sampling and tell us what you think. she's the boss around here. >> i would not want nora after me if i did not want to get caught. she would make a great detective. she is not mean. she is sar castic sometimes. very much so. she needs more physical activity. and nora, what is your little issue with organized religion? you are so smart, too. and you analyze everything instantly like these other two guys. and your very, very frustrated. you have a desire to acquire things. you're a really good listener, contrast to what randi says
6:27am
about you. and i won't talk about your sex life, but, honey, it was dynamite, wasn't it? >> oh, baby! >> thank you so much. >> i'm thrilled he didn't bring that up in our handwriting. good thing we don't have a camera on you, nora, in the control room. curt bagget, thank you very much. that was quite entertaining. >> thank you. >> whoa! >> apparently we're both trying to take over. i have a huge ego. >> you keep your ego in check. i'm going to take over now. i'm taking over. >> geez. oh, my gosh. >> well, that was interesting, wasn't it? >> it was. it was fun. thank you, curt. coming up, we'll tell you why tide -- yes, detergent tide, is one of the hottest items on the black market. that story coming up at 10:00 am. >> i have some things to work through. [ male announcer ] break the grip of back or arthritis pain
6:28am
6:29am
with odor free aspercreme. powerful medicine relieves pain fast, with no odor.